Job hunting is challenging these days. Employers get flooded with applications for every opening and may spend as little as ten seconds screening each resume. Therefore, your resume needs to stand out from the rest of the resumes to stand a chance at being shortlisted so you can get call backs!
Here are some suggestions that can help your resume stand out from the crowd and ensure that you get called in for an interview.
Formatting Your Resume
7. Hire a professional resume writer. Using an expert service to help you stand out from the rest is an excellent idea if you are looking to advance in your career. A professional career consultant or writer can help streamline your documents so you can elevate in your industry or pivot your career.
The job market is tough, but a resume that looks good and quickly demonstrates your strongest selling points could help you rise to the top of the stack.
Give yourself the best chance to succeed by crafting a resume that will make your prospective employer want to learn more about you. If you need assistance with your resume or would like us to help you create an amazing professional resume on your behalf, contact us! We offer FREE professional resume assessments and would love to go over your resume with you to give you some valuable tips that will help you reach your highest professional potential. Schedule your free resume consultation here:
By Victoria Rubio – VR Success Services
The average corporate job opening attracts over 250 resumes, according to the employment website Glass door. With that kind of volume, it’s little wonder that most resumes get looked at for 7 seconds or less.
If you’re looking for a new position, how can you increase the odds that a hiring manager will pay attention to your application long enough to appreciate what you have to offer?
Fortunately, there are many things you can do to make sure your resume gets read. Study these suggestions before you reply to another job listing.
Tips for Editing Your Resume
You can make your resume stand out from the crowd. Review it carefully before you start your job search and update it at least twice a year or after any major achievement.
Use these strategies:
Other Tips for Making Sure Your Resume Gets Read
Keep in mind that your resume is just one ingredient in a successful job search. You need to maximize the rest of your strategy too.
Try these techniques:
Even if you're a star performer, you may have to work on your resume to be sure it gets read. Making it easier for employers to recognize your value will help you to land more interviews and job offers.
If you would like some assistance writing and editing your professional career documents, contact us for a free assessment! We specialize in professional documents, services, and strategies that help our clients stand out as leaders in their industries so they can advance their careers exponentially!
Resume and Cover Letter Checklist
RESUME AND COVER LETTER CHECKLIST
Sending a resume that is professional, easy to read and gives a good overview of your skills will make a great impression on any potential employer. The same is true of a well-written and interesting cover letter.
Go over this checklist before sending your resume and cover letter:
Your resume and cover letter are the very first contact with a potential employer. Use them to your advantage to help you make a great first impression and stand out above your competition!
Ready to elevate your career? Contact us for a FREE professional Resume and Career Assessment!
Are cover letters essential?
A professional Cover Letter is a must when applying for any professional position. You wouldn’t wear just one shoe to a job interview so don’t send your Resume without an accompanying and coordinating professional Cover Letter. Think of your cover letter as a strategic tool to entice employers to consider you for an interview. Therefore, it has to stand out from the rest. Because hiring managers review dozens of job applications every day, they look for specific content in cover letters that tell them the most about the candidate and meet their professional expectations.
The purpose of a cover letter is to introduce you to a prospective employer through a personal and professional narrative of your interests, qualifications, personality and why you are the best fit for the desired position. While your resume is the place you want to highlight and promote your career achievements, a cover letter is where you want to give the employer more insight into your attitude, personality, and work ethic. Employers use cover letters to gauge how an employee may fit within their company culture.
The first thing to consider when writing your cover letter is to make sure you take the time to tailor your cover letter to the specific organization and person (if possible) you are applying to. Research the company and pay attention to the job posting carefully to be able to offer valuable insight about yourself and how you will be of benefit to their company, as well as how you will fi in their company culture. Each letter should reflect professional aspects of your personality and enthusiasm for the industry you are in. It is a great idea to mention your personal drive and passion as they pertain to the position you are seeking, and to express pride in your work as well as what led you to embark on your professional journey.
A cover letter can make or break your chances of being selected for an interview. Make sure yours presents your background, expertise and personality in the best possible manner to give you the best chance of getting the interview.
If you need assistance with writing your resume or cover letter, please contact us for a free consultation!
7 Tips To Perfect Your Resume
Your resume is one of the most important documents you will ever own. A recruiter spends a total of 6 seconds scanning a resume for the first time, so you must make an amazing first impression if you are to stand any chance of progressing to the interview stage.
Here are 7 areas that must be clearly communicated to ensure your resume makes the cut!
1) Tailoring your resume to each job you are applying for is essential, so make sure that the job titles, responsibilities and descriptions on your resume are relevant to the job being offered so that it is streamlined to and relevant to the position you are seeking.
2) Ensure your experience comes across as consistent and relevant to the job you are applying for, and be clear as to HOW you added value, as well as your exact contribution to any projects. This is very important. Make sure you do not merely post descriptions of what your duties were. Always add some highlights that make you a stellar employee.
3) Include all relevant skills gained in previous jobs. Your skills complement your experience and show how suitable you are for the job. They also can be used to step into new professional territories when trying to level up or pivot in your career.
4) Always highlight your results and achievements. Focus on the outcomes and how you played a big part in that. Make sure you demonstrate how you over-achieved in any project or position you were responsible for.
5) Make sure to include any relevant educational certificates, especially if they were listed in the selection criteria. This includes any training, certifications, and courses that you have taken in your career. They can make the difference between getting called for an interview or not, especially if the training is directly related to the position you are seeking.
6) Ensure the layout is clear, clean, and consistent. One font is sufficient, use bullet points rather than long sentences, and make sure there are no spelling or grammar mistakes.
7) Use relevant language. Read the job description and make sure your language is similar so that the reader feels an immediate connection between you and the role.
Remember that although you may be the best person for the job, if you do not articulate that effectively on your resume, you may not be considered for the position.
If you like to have your resume professionally written, please contact us! Our team will ensure your resume stands out and gets you noticed so you have a better chance of getting hired for the job of your dreams.