Your resume is one of the most important documents you will ever own. A recruiter spends a total of 6 seconds scanning a resume for the first time, so you must make an amazing first impression if you are to stand any chance of progressing to the interview stage.
Here are 7 areas that must be clearly communicated to ensure your resume makes the cut!
1) Tailoring your resume to each job you are applying for is essential, so make sure that the job titles, responsibilities and descriptions on your resume are relevant to the job being offered so that it is streamlined to and relevant to the position you are seeking.
2) Ensure your experience comes across as consistent and relevant to the job you are applying for, and be clear as to HOW you added value, as well as your exact contribution to any projects. This is very important. Make sure you do not merely post descriptions of what your duties were. Always add some highlights that make you a stellar employee.
3) Include all relevant skills gained in previous jobs. Your skills complement your experience and show how suitable you are for the job. They also can be used to step into new professional territories when trying to level up or pivot in your career.
4) Always highlight your results and achievements. Focus on the outcomes and how you played a big part in that. Make sure you demonstrate how you over-achieved in any project or position you were responsible for.
5) Make sure to include any relevant educational certificates, especially if they were listed in the selection criteria. This includes any training, certifications, and courses that you have taken in your career. They can make the difference between getting called for an interview or not, especially if the training is directly related to the position you are seeking.
6) Ensure the layout is clear, clean, and consistent. One font is sufficient, use bullet points rather than long sentences, and make sure there are no spelling or grammar mistakes.
7) Use relevant language. Read the job description and make sure your language is similar so that the reader feels an immediate connection between you and the role.
Remember that although you may be the best person for the job, if you do not articulate that effectively on your resume, you may not be considered for the position.
If you like to have your resume professionally written, please contact us! Our team will ensure your resume stands out and gets you noticed so you have a better chance of getting hired for the job of your dreams.