The fear of failure has killed more dreams than all other fears combined. The fear of failure is insidious because it’s largely in your imagination, which can prevent you from even trying in the first place, and this is what always guarantees failure.
Isn’t it interesting that very small children have no concept of failure? They couldn’t care less if they fail to do something. They just try again. There are no negative thoughts or emotions involved. They just keep on going until they reach their intended results. This is such a great trait to encompass.
Sadly, it doesn’t take long before children learn to fear the opinions of others. While it might not be possible to recapture the tenacity of a toddler, you can shift your mindset to allow yourself to take the necessary chances and risks for you to be able to go after your dreams and be successful in your undertakings.
The fear of failure doesn’t have to impact your life significantly.
Consider these facts:
We’ve all allowed the fear of failure to influence our decisions. We’ve allowed this fear to stop us from trying new things or taking risks. We all have less fulfilling lives than we could because we’re too concerned with what others think.
Rejecting the fear of failure is one of the greatest things you can do for your future!
You can start today. What are you going to do today that you’ve been afraid to try?
Most clients that come to us who want to start, or grow, a business come with a pile of personal goals and wants of how they wish things in their business should be. When asked about their Customer Avatar, many of them stare at me with a blank expression or confused look on their face. This tells me almost immediately where the problem lies, and where our work will begin. You see, creating a comprehensive Customer Avatar is one of the best things you can do for yourself and your business. It not only speeds up revenue almost immediately, but it also saves a lot of wasted time on marketing strategies that are worthless if they’re not being targeted to your ideal client/customer effectively.
If you don’t know what a Customer Avatar is, and why it is extremely important, you’re not alone. In fact, most business owners struggle with this piece of the marketing puzzle.
Here’s what a customer avatar is:
The first step is to list out their demographic and psychographic traits. Write down as much information as you can be based on what you know about your customer so far. If you don’t know much about your customer, then you need to interview them and ask them questions to come up with a comprehensive profile.
Next, give them a name that you will recognize and remember so when you are creating content for this avatar you will be able to pull up their profile easily.
Next, write a story as your customer avatar. Pretend you are them. What did they do before your service/product? What are they thinking while using your service/product? What are they trying to accomplish through your service/product? What do they do after using your service/product? When will they come back to your service/product? Etc.
The point is to force yourself to think through your marketing and advertising pathways and methods of retaining customers. This will help you to see how you may not have been communicating to your ideal client effectively and will assist you to create better strategies to help build trust with your customers and increase business revenue.
Once you develop strong customer avatars, you will be on your way to establishing repeat loyal customers and a solid and successful business. If you need help developing comprehensive customer avatars for your business, we can help!
Contact us for a free consultation!
Social media platforms have quickly grown to be a primary resource for businesses to market and grow their businesses online. When used effectively, social media can provide an economical and effective way to increase your revenue. Use these tips to connect with your ideal clients and customers through social media and increase your profits:
Have a solid social media strategy and market to your customers on their preferred platform.
Many of us believe that success is about coming up with great ideas or doing the impossible, but most success is the result of doing the mundane. It's doing the things that no one wants to do. Whether it's losing weight, getting a better job, starting a business, doing well in school, or saving a million dollars, the process can feel largely unenjoyable at times, unless we push ourselves to see the greater goal.
In most cases, you know what needs to be done. The challenge is getting yourself to do it.
Dealing effectively with procrastination is getting yourself to do things you don't want to do. This is great practice for learning how to become successful! If you can defeat your procrastination, you can accomplish just about anything.
Consider the normal process of procrastination:
1. You think about doing something.
Isn't that how you start a task? You think about doing it. Sometimes you think about it so much that you brain gets overwhelmed and shuts down, or you turn yourself off completely from doing it.
2. You notice how it feels.
Every thought generates a feeling or emotion. When it feels good, we do the task. That's why it's so easy to get off the couch to get a bag of chips. It's not as easy to leave the couch to go outside and paint the gutters or go for a run.
3. If it feels bad, you avoid it.
You have your own, consistent ways of deflecting the task. Each one of us has developed our own set of procrastination habits that has continuously led us to remain stuck in a rut. The first step is acknowledging what your habit patterns are. Do you know what you do when you're in procrastinating mode? Make a list of the things you do to avoid a task. This will help you see what you need to do to overcome each one.
4. When the feeling of putting it off feels worse than the feeling of doing it, you finally act.
This is when you eventually (and begrudgingly) pay your taxes, take out the trash, apply for a job, or work on your term paper.
This is a very common process. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well if you're trying to get ahead or to prevent your life from descending into chaos.
Try an alternative method for dealing with unpleasant tasks, and overcoming procrastination mindset:
1. When you feel bad about a task, get excited that you're being given an opportunity to learn success skills. This is the moment that defines your future success and aligns you with the path of your highest potential. The least successful people are the worst procrastinators. Successful people always do the hard things. Remember that every time you start to go down the abyss of negativity when you feel overwhelmed with a task.
2. Take a minute to just sit with your feelings and notice them. Acknowledge and accept your discomfort. Close your eyes and breathe slowly. Notice where you feel the disturbance. Is it in your head? Your chest? Stomach? Try to relax that area of your body and release the tension. Many times when we overthink a situation we end up with brain fog and this causes stress in our whole system. Pay attention to where your discomfort is coming from.
3. Spend five minutes doing the task you want to avoid. Set a timer if you have to. Anyone can handle just five minutes. Getting started is the hardest part, so become an expert on getting started! You'll often find that you'll continue beyond your five-minute goal. This is called creating momentum, and will help you get past the initial hardship of starting a task you’ve been procrastinating. Congratulate yourself for lasting at least five minutes.
4. Forgive yourself for failing. Some days you win, others you lose. Working through discomfort and defeating procrastination is a challenging skill to learn. Don’t worry about not getting it right the first time, just make sure you keep practicing until you become accustomed to completing the tasks that will help you be successful.
Procrastination is a very human habit. There's little doubt that its origins were helpful. Poor decisions could be disastrous 100,000 years ago. Our brains had to be thoroughly convinced that an idea was worthy of execution before it would allow us to act. These days, however, procrastination can single handedly destroy your goals and dreams if you don’t overcome them. Decide for yourself that right now is the time to move forward and take one step toward your success. Use your urge to procrastinate as fuel for learning to be successful. Your future success will thank you.
If you need direct support to overcome procrastination habits and are ready to change your unproductive patterns, please contact us! Victoria Rubio is a mindset and success coach, and a career and business consultant who works with clients to help them overcome obstacles and set up step-by-step strategies for success so they can elevate their careers or businesses, and reach their highest potential. Book a free consultation today!